When we think of Italian dishes, shrimp parm is one that stands out. The ooey, gooey cheese, the rich sauce and the light, fresh taste of shrimp comes together to make a mouth-watering combination. If you’d like to learn how to make shrimp parm, read on!
Why Love Shrimp Parm?
Shrimp parm contains shrimp, which is notoriously healthy. It’s low in calories and fat and high in protein and essential fatty acids. It is also rich in astaxanthin. Astaxanthin is a carotenoid that gives shrimp their pink color. It is packed with antioxidants and may support health aging, especially in the heart and muscles. It can also protect the body from toxins and stressors.
If you would like to make a delicious and healthy shrimp parm dish, here is a recipe we recommend.
Shrimp Parm Recipe
- 1 ½ lbs. extra-large shrimp peeled and butterflied
- ½ cup flour
- 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- ¾ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- Olive oil to protect bottom of pan while frying
- 1 lb grated mozzarella cheese
- 3 ½ cups tomato sauce
- 1 lb pasta
- Olive oil drizzle throughout pasta
- Parmesan cheese
- Open the shrimp up like a book and remove the dark vein.
- In a zip lock bag, place flour seasoned with salt and Old Bay. Toss in shrimp and shake to coat.
- Remove shrimp; add panko, breadcrumbs, and parmesan cheese to the same bag.
- In a small bowl whisk eggs and mayonnaise.
- Dip floured shrimp into egg mixture and then into bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottom pan.
- Brown shrimp in batches and drain on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Spread 1/3 of the sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- Spread cooked pasta on top of sauce.
- Spoon another 1/3 sauce on pasta.
- Layer shrimp over the pasta
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Top with the rest of the sauce.
- Top with grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake in 350-degree oven till cheese is melted, about 15-20 minutes.
Of course, not everyone has the time to cook a shrimp parm dish. Fortunately for them, there are other ways to enjoy the benefits astaxanthin has to offer. The easiest way to take it is in supplemental form.
Don’t Like Seafood But Want Nutrition? Try These Healthy Supplements!
There are plenty of health care companies that carry astaxanthin supplements, but here are two we recommend.
Pure Encapsulations: Pure Encapsulations carries a wide range of products that are vegetarian, hypoallergenic, and all natural. Every ingredient they use gets tested for purity and potency. Their astaxanthin supplements are just one of the many they provide to ensure optimal health.
Solgar: With close to 75 years in the healthcare industry, Solgar has built a reputation for themselves as a leading provider of natural supplements. They are known for providing top quality, science-based products. Their product line includes astaxanthin supplements which are available in different strengths.
Eating shrimp parm is a delicious way to take advantage of the benefits astaxanthin has to offer, but those who would rather not spend a lot of time in the kitchen can still experience optimal health by taking this carotenoid in supplemental form. Cook or dose? Which one is right for you?