If you are faced with a day when you have nothing to do, staying home and baking cookies is a great way to add excitement. There are so many kinds of cookies you can make, but vanilla sandwich cookies are an all time favorite. They have a light creamy taste, which is perfect as an ice cream topping or by itself with a cold glass of milk.
If you are looking for a vanilla sandwich cookies recipe you can make to brighten up your day, here is one we recommend.
Vanilla Sandwich Cookies Recipe
For the cookies:
- 100g (or ⅓ cup + 5 teaspoons) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 100g (or ¾ cup + 2½ teaspoons) powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 115g (or ¾ cup + 2 tbsp + 2 tsp) all-purpose flour
- A pinch of salt
For the filling:
- ½ cup buttercream
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line two baking sheets with baking parchment.
- In a medium-size bowl, beat butter until smooth with a wooden spoon. Add powdered sugar, egg and vanilla, and stir. Add flour and salt and stir until the batter is smooth and has a thick buttercream consistency.
- Transfer batter to a piping bag fitted with a medium open tip, and pipe 1-inch dollops onto the baking sheets. Make sure to leave space between the dollops, as the cookies will spread in the oven.
- Bake (one sheet at a time) in the middle of the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies have turned a golden color. Remove from the oven. Allow the cookies to cool completely on baking sheets.
- Once cool, use a piping bag fitted with a small star tip to fill the cookies. Start in the center of each cookie and spiral outwards. Place the second cookie on top and press down lightly.
- Serve the cookies cold or at room temperature.
- Cookies can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for three days but they will start to lose their crunch over time.
Can I Use Vanilla Essential Oil Instead of Vanilla Extract?
If you look at a vanilla sandwich cookies recipe, most will call for vanilla extract. If you don’t have any in the house, you may be wondering if your vanilla essential oil can do as an alternative. In most cases, the answer would be no; however, the NOW Foods company makes an essential oil that is so pure, it is considered “food-grade” and can be used for cooking.
NOW Foods has been providing sports nutrition, beauty products, supplements and organic whole foods since the 1940s. Their Vanilla Essential Oil is made with two simple ingredients, vanilla oil and jojoba oil. Not only are these safe to ingest, they also smell great when diffused.
So the next time you are looking for something to do, why not try your hand at a great vanilla sandwich cookies recipe like the one we have listed above? It is sure to brighten up your day, and your taste buds will thank you later!