Just like fiber is an important component of the human diet, it is also important for dogs. When added to a dog’s diet, fiber can produce benefits by aiding with digestion, helping manage weight and keeping blood sugar levels under control.
If you feel your dog isn’t getting enough fiber, you may be wondering, how can I add more fiber to my dog’s diet? Well, read on to find out.
How Can I Add More Fiber to My Dog’s Diet?
The best way to get fiber in your dog’s diet is by giving them the right foods. Not only do you want to give them food that’s high in fiber, you want to make sure your dog is getting fiber from high quality ingredients and not unhealthy fillers. For instance, many dog foods contain 5% crude fiber, which really is not adequate for a healthy dog.
When considering fiber sources for your dog, whole fruits and vegetables are the best option. Here are some things you can add to your dog’s food to make sure he or she is getting enough of these ingredients.
- Canned Pumpkin Pulp: Small dogs will need 1 tbsp. per feeding while larger dog’s will need ¼ cup.
- Steamed Green Vegetables: Prepare a handful and add it to your dog’s meal for the ultimate in digestive health.
- Sweet Potatoes: Mash up some sweet potatoes and add 1-3 tbsp. to your dog’s meal.
- Whole Grain: Bran flakes, cooked oats or millet are some examples of whole grains that can be added to your dog’s meal. Drop in a spoonful to increase fiber content.
- OTC Fiber Additives: Metamucil and other OTC fiber additives can also be effective for improving your dog’s digestion. Add ½ tsp. for small dogs or 2 tbsp. for larger dogs. Add water to blend.
Other Digestive Supplements for Dogs
Fiber is a great way to improve your dog’s health and encourage regular bowel movements. However, there are other supplements that can also be beneficial.
Vital Planet is a company that specializes in all natural pet supplements. They make a variety of products that can improve your dog’s digestive health. These include the following.
Firm Stool for Dogs Powder: This powder has 10 strains of probiotics that support normal GI health and function. It provides a firm stool to prevent occasional diarrhea making for an easy clean up. It is non-GMO, gluten free and contains no artificial ingredients.
Digest Dog Daily Enzyme Powder: This enzyme blend supports the digestion of protein, fat and carbohydrates. Its powder form makes it easy to sprinkle on your dog’s food. It is grain, gluten and soy free, non-GMO and it has a beef flavor your dog will love.
If you are wondering, how can I add more fiber to my dog’s diet, adding the grains and vegetables listed above should help improve your furry friend’s digestive health significantly. What do you like to give your dog to keep him healthy and regular?