We all love delicious desserts. It’s the sugar we can go without.
Even though processed sugar adds a delicious sweet taste to foods, it has been shown to be harmful to health in the following ways.
- It has calories that can lead to weight gain.
- It can increase the risk of heart disease.
- It can cause acne and wrinkles.
- It can accelerate the aging process.
- It increases the risk of Type 2 Diabetes.
- It may increase the risk of cancer.
- It may contribute to depression.
- It can increase cellular aging.
- It reduces energy levels.
- It can lead to liver disease.
- It causes inflammation in the body.
- It’s bad for your teeth.
- It can increase the risk of developing kidney disease.
- It can increase the risk of developing gout.
- It can lead to cognitive decline.
That’s quite a list!
So, taking this into consideration, does this mean we should be completely without sweets? Of course not!
Fortunately, there are plenty of sugarfree desserts you can make that will satisfy your sweet tooth. Here’s one for Sugarfree Chocolate Pie.
Sugarfree Chocolate Pie Recipe
- 1/3 cup cocoa or 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 ¾ tsp liquid stevia or ½ tsp. pure stevia
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 ¼ cups milk
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 (9-inch) baked pie shell
- Whipped cream
1. Mix cocoa, stevia, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan.
2. Gradually stir in milk.
Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until boiling. Let boil for 1 minute and remove from heat.
3. Blend in vanilla.
4. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and pour into the pie shell. Refrigerate.
5. Top with whipped cream and serve.
The reason this sugarfree chocolate pie tastes so great and is a lot healthier than a sugary dessert is because stevia is added.
Stevia is a sugar alternative that is about 200 times sweeter than table sugar. It is way lower in calories and therefore is not linked to weight gain. It has also been shown to reduce insulin and glucose levels to keep blood sugar in check. Therefore, it is better for diabetics.
Even though stevia is a healthier alternative to sugar, there are some health concerns about the product due to the fact that it is processed. Therefore, when buying stevia, you will want to go with a brand that is known for products you can count on for their honest and natural ingredients. The Nutramedix brand is highly recommended.
Nutramedix is known for its honesty, integrity and unique, proprietary extraction processes. Their Stevia product is an herbal supplement containing the stevia leaf extract. It is recommended for supporting glucose levels already in normal range and it is sure to take your recipes to the next level.
Sugar is not great for our bodies, but it sure tastes great. Fortunately, you can use healthier substitutes like stevia to make a delicious sugarfree chocolate pie and other terrific desserts.
Which sweets are your favorites?