We all know how much digital technology has changed the way we live our lives and since the 1980s, we have witnessed a very rapid development in IT, with new and innovative tech coming out on an almost daily basis. Those of us who are old enough to remember telegrams and spending Sunday evening huddled around the radio set are rightly amazed at what we can do today and here are just a few of the many ways that technology makes our lives that much easier.
- Real-Time Video Calls – Skype and Zoom are the two major VoIP platforms, while you can also live video call with Facebook, Line and many other apps. This technology is even more important during a global pandemic, such as we are currently facing, indeed, many businesses offer their services via video meetings.
- Obtaining Essential Documentation – Let’s say you need to get a medical certificate for work and you simply don’t have the time to pay your doctor a visit, well, you can arrange this online from a reputable medical services provider. Simply login and have a virtual examination with a qualified doctor, who has the authority to issue you a medical certificate to justify time off work.
- GPS – Where would we be without the GPS satellites orbiting the Earth and providing us with a very accurate platform for mapping and tracking. Next time you go on a long journey, spare a thought for Google Maps, the application that can take you anywhere on the planet that you wish to go. This system also supports tracking freight and consignments in real time, so when you order a product online, you can quickly find out exactly where it is by quoting the assigned tracking number.
- Online Shopping – There isn’t much that you can’t order online and due to the current Covid-19 crisis, more and more consumers are turning to e-commerce, as shopping online eliminates human contact. Most e-commerce stores offer free delivery and their prices are lower than at traditional retail prices.
- Working from Home – More and more people are enjoying the many benefits that come with working at home. They receive their assignments via email and might have a video meeting with their boss from time to time, and, of course, there’s no travelling or dressing up when you work from the comfort of your own home. There are also many freelancers that offer their services online, which might be in the form of web development, creative art or even advertising and once you have experienced working from home, you won’t ever wish to return to the regular workplace. While on the topic of employment, here are a few signs that it is time to change your job.
These are just some of the ways that innovative technology aids us in our lives and there are many more on the way, as we move into 5G and the Internet of Things, a network for every single digital device to connect to. Merging with AI will really bring on some amazing changes and you can expect to see drones and driverless cars a lot more, as automated transport develops.